Natural Deodorant - What You Need To Know
You have a Reaction to Baking Soda:
Many natural deodorants contain sodium bicarbonate and unfortunately some people can experience a sensitivity to this ingredient. If this occurs, discontinue use and wait for the irritation to dissipate.
If you do experience irritation, but would like to continue using a natural deodorant once the irritation dissipates, these are a few things that you could try:
- Do a patch test before first use.
- If you are prone to irritation, avoid using after shaving or try a small patch test before applying in full.
- Apply a small amount of coconut oil under your arms before applying your deodorant.
- Apply a very small amount of deodorant every second day to begin with, and work up to using it daily.
- Try a sensitive deodorant like Little Mango's Soothing Lavender which has a lower concentration of baking soda, start by using it daily, or every second day and build up using it slowly.
It Melts or Hardens:
Store your natural deodorant in a cool, dry place. If it does warm up, the composition of the natural ingredients may change, but don't worry it is still perfectly fine to use.
- If it melts, stir the mixture to combine the ingredients again, put in the fridge to set and then store in a cool, dry place.
- If the mixture hardens in winter, warm slightly before applying by rubbing between your fingertips.
You don't think it's working:
Rarely, some people find that their deodorant is not stopping odour as effectively as they would like. There may be a few reasons why this may be happening:
- If this happens while using the low-strength / sensitive deodorant, it may be that you need a regular strength deodorant.
- If this happens with the regular strength deodorant, you may need to play with the amount you're using. Try a little more - but make sure it rubs in dry and not sticky.
- It might be that the scent doesn't suit you. A scent that works for one person may not work for another. The best thing to do is try a different scent to see which works best.
- Occasionally, when switching to a natural deodorant, some people go through a detox period. This is due to the build up of aluminium from years of using standard deodorants and it's the body's way of adjusting and expelling toxins. This can cause body odour that can last from anywhere between 2 days and 2 weeks. If this happens stick with it, it will be totally worth it.
Feeling ready to try a natural, plastic free deodorant that is nourishing for your skin and smells divine? Check out the options we have below.